Reports to: Partnerships and Policy Director
Status: Full time, exempt
Salary Range: $45,000-$60,000
Accountable Tech is looking for a Research Associate to support our policy and research needs. The Research Associate will work closely with Accountable Tech’s Partnerships and Policy Director to bring the substance to our advocacy campaigns holding Big Tech accountable. We’re looking for someone who is ready to jump into the weeds of tech and social media policy and produce timely and newsworthy memos and other research products. Social media companies pose an existential threat to our information system and democracy, and we’re looking for a Research Associate to help us drive this home with the data and research to back it up and fight for meaningful long-term structural reforms. The ideal candidate won’t be afraid to jump into our fast-moving campaigns and respond quickly to breaking news.
As the Research Associate, you will:
- Work with the rest of the Accountable Tech team and partners to create successful campaigns and initiatives that drive forward our organization’s messaging and objectives
- Brainstorm ideas and content for concise and punchy research products and projects that cut through the noise and make news
- Support the development and continual refinement of Accountable Tech’s policy framework
- Track all legislation related to Big Tech and social media accountability at both the federal and state levels
- Provide analysis and contribute to talking points and message guidance with respect to legal, legislative, regulatory and any other policy proposals related to Big Tech
- Support our outreach strategy and help foster positive working relationships with partner organizations and individuals
- Quickly mobilize around rapid response moments with timely data and opposition research about the platforms
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned
- You’re passionate about how social media companies pose an existential threat to our information ecosystem and democracy and are driven to bring about long-term structural reforms
- You’re an excellent writer who loves writing wonky memos as much as translating the policy for the average advocate
- You sweat the details and live in the weeds
- You’re organized, detail-oriented, and analytical even in a fast-paced work environment
- You have experience using excel to analyze and manipulate new datasets to produce original content for press and social media purposes
- You’re comfortable working on tight deadlines and balancing multiple projects
- You have experience working with partner organizations and/or allies on shared goals or campaigns
- You’ve got experience jumping into rapid-response moments
- You’re eager to use policy and research to tell a story
- You’re comfortable taking on evolving responsibilities
In addition, it would be a bonus if:
- You have an interest or experience in tech and social media policy or other progressive causes
- You have at least one year of experience working on a campaign, for an advocacy group, or conducting research and policy analysis
- You have some knowledge or experience working on or reviewing legislation
- You have good sense of humor and enjoy working within a team
How to Apply
Email email@example.com with the subject line “Research Associate Application” and attach your resume for consideration. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from Accountable Tech. Thank you for your interest.
Comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 3% employer match on 401k contributions, pre-tax transportation benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
Accountable Tech is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.