Reports to: Cofounder & Senior Advisor
Status: Full time, exempt
Salary Range: $70,000-$95,000
Accountable Tech is looking for a Press Secretary to support our growing public and media presence. The Press Secretary, working with the Cofounder & Senior Advisor will develop a savvy media strategy to promote Accountable Tech’s initiatives and campaigns. Social media companies pose an existential threat to our information system and democracy, and we’re looking for a Press Secretary to help us drive this home through the media and fight for meaningful long-term structural reforms. The ideal candidate won’t be afraid to jump into our fast-moving campaigns and respond quickly to breaking news.
As the Press Secretary, you will:
- Work directly with journalists and the press to shape stories and the narrative on Big Tech and promote Accountable Tech’s positions and campaigns
- Develop the communications and messaging strategy for Accountable Tech’s campaigns, including coalition efforts
- Quickly mobilize around rapid response moments both online and offline
- Monitor news and announcements from Big Tech and seek out proactive opportunities for Accountable Tech to guide media coverage
- Support our growing online presence with products and content intended solely for social media platforms
- Build and foster relationships with media who cover social media platforms and Big Tech
- Work with the rest of the Accountable Tech team and partners to create successful campaigns and initiatives that drive forward our organization’s messaging and objectives
- Brainstorm innovative creative approaches to reach different audiences
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned
- You’re passionate about how social media companies pose an existential threat to our information ecosystem and democracy, and driven to bring about long-term structural reforms
- You’re an excellent writer who loves experimenting with tone, voice, and personality
- You’re a voracious daily consumer of news from a variety of sources
- You’re organized, detail-oriented, and analytical even in a fast-paced work environment
- You have 3-6 years of experience working with reporters to shape media coverage
- You’re comfortable working on tight deadlines and balancing multiple projects
- You’ve got experience jumping into rapid-response moments
- You’re comfortable taking on evolving responsibilities
In addition, it would be a bonus if:
- You have experience as an on-the-record spokesperson
- You have experience pitching press on behalf of a coalition
- You have experience working with tech reporters and/or have familiarity with tech policy
- You have experience writing for social media platforms
How to Apply
Email Jesse@accountabletech.org with the subject line “Press Secretary Application” and attach your resume for consideration. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from Accountable Tech. Thank you for your interest.
Comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 3% employer match on 401k contributions, pre-tax transportation benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
Accountable Tech is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.