Reports to: Co-founders
Status: Full time, exempt
Salary Range: $100,000 – $140,000
Accountable Tech (AT) is looking for a Partnerships and Policy Director to lead our partnerships, policy, and research needs. The Director will work closely with Accountable Tech’s Policy Analyst to bring the substance to our advocacy campaigns holding Big Tech accountable. We’re looking for someone who understands the nuances of tech and social media policy, can build and maintain partnerships with allies, and influence policymaking in legislative and regulatory spaces. Social media companies pose an existential threat to our information system and democracy, and we’re looking for a Partnerships and Policy Director to help us drive this home and fight for meaningful long-term structural reforms. The ideal candidate won’t be afraid to jump into our fast-moving campaigns and respond quickly to breaking news.
As the Director of Partnerships and Policy, you will:
- Work with the rest of the Accountable Tech team and partners to create successful campaigns and initiatives that drive forward our organization’s messaging and objectives
- Manage and maintain positive working relationships with existing partner groups and individuals. Work to expand AT’s partners network, including identifying opportunities to engage and collaborate with unexpected allies when possible
- Conceive of and lead coalition campaigns designed to put pressure on social media companies, advance a legislative or regulatory agenda, or support other efforts to rein in Big Tech’s unfettered operations
- Lead the development and continual refinement of Accountable Tech’s policy framework
- Track and translate policy announcements from Big Tech companies and suggest campaign opportunities
- Propose, draft, edit, and promote policy memos, legislative proposals, research reports, and other policy-related documents that serve AT’s mission and promote our brand
- Proactively identify opportunities for AT to amplify the policy proposals of allies and advise on all matters related to legislation and policy positions that Accountable Tech is considering taking or weighing in on
- Track all legislation related to Big Tech and social media accountability at both the federal and state levels
- Build and maintain relationships with policymakers and staff in Congress and other governmental areas of influence in support of legislative and regulatory oversight of social media companies
- Brainstorm ideas and content for concise and punchy policy products and projects that cut through the noise and make news
- Provide analysis and contribute to talking points and message guidance with respect to legal, legislative, regulatory and any other policy proposals related to Big Tech
- Review and approve policy-related social media content
- Support our outreach strategy and help foster positive working relationships with partner organizations and individuals
- Manage staff including a Policy Analyst
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned
- You’re passionate about how social media companies pose an existential threat to our information ecosystem and democracy and are driven to bring about long-term structural reforms
- You’re organized, detail-oriented, and analytical even in a fast-paced work environment
- You understand how to use and translate complex policy for political communications purposes
- You’re comfortable working on tight deadlines and balancing multiple projects
- You have experience working with partner organizations and/or allies on shared goals or campaigns
- You’re an excellent writer who loves writing wonky memos as much as translating policy for a tweet or grassroots email
- You have 5-7 years of experience including previous political advocacy, policy, partnerships, and legislative experience
- You’ve got experience jumping into rapid-response moments
- You’re eager to use policy and research to tell a story
- You’re comfortable taking on evolving responsibilities
In addition, it would be a bonus if:
- You have an interest or experience in tech and social media policy or other progressive causes
- You have strong relationships on the Hill and with federal policymakers
- You have experience working on a campaign or other electoral effort
- You have good sense of humor and enjoy working within a team
How to Apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Partnerships and Policy Director Application” and attach your resume and a writing sample for consideration. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from Accountable Tech. Thank you for your interest.
Comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 6% employer match on 401k contributions, pre-tax transportation benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
Accountable Tech is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@newventurefund.org.