Location: Remote (exempt)
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Full time
Salary Range: $100,000 - $140,000
Accountable Tech is looking for a Communications Director to lead the development and execution of comprehensive communications plans as our organization continues to grow. The Communications Director will work closely with the Executive Director and the rest of the team to strategically bolster Accountable Tech’s public presence in service of the organization’s mission and campaigns.
The behavior of dominant tech companies and the influential platforms they operate poses an existential threat to our information system, and our democracy, and we’re looking for a media-savvy Communications Director who can help us tell that story persuasively and fight for meaningful long-term structural reforms. The ideal candidate won’t be afraid to jump into our fast-moving campaigns and respond quickly to breaking news.
As the Communications Director, you will:
- Lead the development and execution of a comprehensive communications strategy for Accountable Tech as our young organization continues to expand its footprint
- Engage directly with the press to pitch and shape stories to advance Accountable Tech’s mission, and the initiatives and campaigns that help achieve that mission
- Work with the Executive Director and entire Accountable Tech team to ensure our public-facing messaging is compelling and consistent
- Identify and mobilize around rapid response opportunities, putting forward creative communications proposals to seize moments as they arise
- Grow Accountable Tech’s public presence, especially in mediums such as TV, podcasts, and strategically selected local news outlets
- Build deep relationships both internally and externally to help lead successful campaigns with key partners to maximize our collective impact
- Generate innovative approaches to reach different audiences with tailored messaging
- Perform other duties as needed
- You’re passionate about how social media companies pose an existential threat to our information ecosystem and democracy, and driven to bring about long-term structural reforms
- You’re an excellent writer who understands how to communicate effectively with various audiences
- You’re a voracious consumer of news with sharp political instincts
- You’re organized, detail-oriented, and analytical even in a fast-paced work environment
- You have 6+ years of professional communications experience, including working extensively with reporters covering tech, politics, or policymaking.
- You’re comfortable working on tight deadlines and balancing multiple projects
- You’ve got experience jumping into rapid-response moments
- You’re comfortable taking on evolving responsibilities
In addition, it would be a bonus if:
- You have experience directing a team or managing colleagues
- You have experience working in politics, advocacy, and/or technology
- You have some familiarity with tech policy issues
- You have pre-existing relationships with national reporters
How to Apply
Email email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Director Application” and attach your resume. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from Accountable Tech. Thank you for your interest.
Comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 3% employer contribution and additional 3% employer match on 401k contributions, pre-tax transportation benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
Accountable Tech is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, New Venture Fund requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law by contacting human resources at HR@newventurefund.org.