Two weeks before the midterm elections, Accountable Tech is up with a new national television ad sounding the alarm about Facebook:
Rather than doubling down on their integrity efforts for the midterms, Facebook has actually rolled back numerous safeguards that were in place in 2020 including:
- Disbanding the team overseeing the platform’s role in elections.
- Cut their core elections-focused staff by 80% since 2020.
- Ended work on addressing the societal harms of their own products.
- Scaled back their own transparency tools for tracking election misinformation.
- Ceased promoting news from legitimate authoritative sources.
- Blocking independent researchers investigating misinformation on the platform.
On January 7, 2021, Mark Zuckerberg wrote that Donald Trump “use[d]…our platform to incite violent insurrection against a democratically elected government.” Facebook has enabled one insurrection. Democracy can’t afford another.
Add your name to tell Facebook to protect democracy: